As we approach the end of our fiscal year, we thought it would be a perfect time to take a look back at some of the things we were able to accomplish this past year.
- A third resale store, Vinnie’s Community Store, was opened on Western Avenue.
- The Ardmore Distribution Center and resale store moved to Bendix Drive.
- In partnership with The Center for the Homeless, we began a 6-8 week Transition to Work Program that provides valuable on the job training for individuals living at the Center for the Homeless. Participants gain job skills while working in our Western Avenue resale store. Already this program has seen success, with one individual graduating from the program and finding a full-time maintenance job at a local business.
- We launched our first ever virtual food drive through Amazon, bringing in more than 500 pounds of food for our pantry.
- 25 children attended our Food for Thought Summer Fun and Enrichment Camp, learning about nutrition and nature.
And most notably, we held our first Vinnie’s Runway as part of the 7th Annual Legacy Dinner and Silent Auction in April 2015. Vinnie’s Runway highlighted 16 individuals who have a meaningful connection to SVDP, whether their connection is through volunteering or through a community partnership. Each Vinnie’s Runway participant aimed to raise $5,000 from friends, family, and others in the community.
On the night of Legacy, each Vinnie proudly donned apparel from Vinnie’s Community Store and strutted their stuff down the runway. Together, the Vinnie’s raised more than $60,000 for the St. Vincent de Paul Society! Due to such success, we are looking forward to see what the next group of Vinnie’s Runway participants can do at the 2016 Legacy Dinner!
Bob Nagle served as host emcee and conducted Feed the Need. Community partner Melanie Bizoe from Pulse FM served as the emcee for Vinnie’s Runway, and Stray Tunes provided music throughout the evening.
This year’s dinner also boasted of a plentiful silent auction, comprised of Tiffany jewelry, Mary’s garden, and artwork among other items. The money raised from the event helped fund our programs—allowing us to continue serving individuals and families in the community.
Thank you for a great year. We can’t wait to see what we will accomplish next year with your help!