Shopping at a St. Vincent de Paul Resale Store can be overwhelming, but it can also be extremely rewarding! If you want to make the most out of your next trip, keep reading to see helpful tips and tricks about shopping at a resale store.
- Bring a Friend. Shopping with a friend can make the experience much more enjoyable. A friend can tell you whether or not something looks good on you, can help you pick out items, and can talk you into that leopard print dress you might not buy on your own. Bringing someone along when you’re resale shopping also makes the time go buy quicker. Plus, you can catch up on each other’s lives while you shop!
- Be patient. It’s not as easy to navigate a resale store when compared to shopping at a department store. However, there is a much wider variety of styles in resale shops. To find what you’re looking for, it might take twice as long, but you won’t spend nearly as much money. Try tackling the store one section at a time until you find what you need. Give yourself enough time to shop so that you don’t feel rushed.
- Learn about sales. Even resale stores will run sales periodically. At the St. Vincent de Paul Resale Stores, we feature 50% off days. Sometimes these sales are on items of a specific color; other times, everything in the store is 50% off. On August 29th, there will be a 50% OFF sale at ALL THREE RESALE STORE LOCATIONS. This sale excludes mattresses, new bed frames, large appliances, and electronics. These sales tend to draw in a crowd of people, but it is definitely worth it!
- Shop for Out of Season Items. When seasons change, department stores put their out of season merchandise on sale; the same thing happens in our resale stores. If you’re looking for a winter coat or other winter attire, the price will be discounted as soon as winter is over. While you won’t be able to use the item until the next year, this can be a good way to purchase items that are a little more expensive.
- Don’t Overlook the Home Section. The St. Vincent de Paul stores have the largest selection of furniture of any resale store around. We also feature lots of home items—from dishes, to vases, to various trinkets and knick-knacks. Additionally, we are the only store in the region that sells large appliances and electronics. Always check our inventory before going to a private seller. We have a permanent repair staff member who ensures every appliance works before hitting the sales floor.
- Have a Goal in Mind. If you are overwhelmed by the number of items in our resale stores, shop with a purpose. Don’t feel obligated to look around the entire store. If you’re looking for shoes, only shop in the shoes section. If you’re looking for clothes, only look at the clothing. We want you to leave our stores feeling happy, not overwhelmed.
- Visit Often. We are constantly changing the inventory in our stores. Furniture and appliances tend to sell quickly so check back often to see what we have to offer. And if you find something that you like, buy it; it probably won’t be there for very long.
Hopefully these tips will make your next trip to a St. Vincent de Paul Resale Store more enjoyable. When you shop at our stores, you are supporting someone in need; the profits from our stores are reinvested back into our programs. Happy Shopping!
Our Resale Store Locations:
1827 N. Bendix Drive 9am-6pm
4644 W. Western Ave 10am-7pm
2302 South Bend Ave 10am-7pm
* All locations are closed on Sundays.